Effective on: 8/9/2022
The Houston Realtors Information Service, Inc. (“HRIS” or “our”, “us” or “we”), a Texas corporation, operates the HAR.com website and the HAR.com mobile app (collectively “HAR.com”) whereon real estate information and related services are available to a visitor and to Realtors®/licensees (for both “you” or “your”).
This Privacy Notice describes information we collect, process and use through HAR.com.
In addition, California residents please see important and additional information at: Privacy Notice for California Residents.
1. What Information We Collect
We collect the following information through your access and use of HAR.com, including when you visit HAR.com, when you fill out and submit forms on HAR.com, when you use location services on HAR.com, or authorize your representative to provide your information to HAR.com:
- Personal Information You Submit To Us. If you sign up for any HAR.com account, or register with a Realtor®/licensee, we collect information you submit such as your email address, your first name and last name, your address, your business address, telephone numbers (including mobile), birthday, photo, username/password, licensing information, and any other information that you choose to provide to us or a Realtor®/licensee (“Account Information”). If you purchase products through our storefront, we collect information you submit to us such as your first name and last name, your email address, your shipping address, your billing address, your credit card information (“Purchase Information”). We do not store or save your credit card number, but for members, we may keep a generic and non-personal identifier of your account for reoccurring membership payments. If you tell HAR.com where you are (e.g., by allowing your device to send HAR.com your location), HAR.com may use that information to provide you with location-based information and advertising (“Location Information”). If you wish to deactivate this feature, you can disable location services on your device. Collectively, your Account Information, Purchase Information and Location Information is “Your Provided Information.” Other than as described, we do not collect or store “sensitive” or “special categories of personal data” information as defined by applicable law.
- IP Address. We may collect your IP (Internet Protocol) address to administer our site. When a web browser or email application requests a web page or email from another device on the Internet, it automatically gives that device the address where it should send the information. This is called the computer’s “IP address”.
- Usage Logs. When on HAR.com, your device communicates a variety of information to computer servers, including the existence of cookies, your Internet Protocol address, and information about your browser program. We also create a record of information you are requesting, such as the page or subject areas you are visiting.
- Publicly Available Information. We collect publicly available data from government sources.
2. How We Use the Information
- To Provide You Services. We use information we collect, including Your Provided Information (i) to provide real estate related information and services, (ii) to provide membership accounts and members-only resources, including Members Only Site, HAR member Websites, Agent Profiles, and the Member Finder, (iii) to request updated information, (iv) to contact you for marketing purposes through weekly newsletters, surveys, promotions or print and/or online versions of the Houston REALTOR magazine, (v) to contact you regarding association business, (vi) to provide products purchased through our storefront, (vii) to provide autodialed, telemarketing text messages, including Short Message Service (SMS) messages, (viii) to verify your license through the TREC database, (ix) to verify your identify, (x) to improve our services, and (xi) to deliver personalized service to HAR.com users, including recognizing you when you return and storing your preferences.
- Realtor®/licensee Provided Services. If you have chosen to receive information from a Realtor®/licensee by submitting any of Your Provided Information to them on HAR.com, then that Realtor®/licensee may use your information to identify you, contact you and provide you real estate related services. If you have activated an account on HAR.com, we may share your information and activity from that account with Realtors®/licensees in order for them to provide you real estate related information in relation to the type of account or services you activated.
- Disclosures to other third parties. In addition to sharing your information with Realtors®/licensees, we may share your information with our third party contractors for the following purposes on your behalf (i) to verify your identity and (ii) to process your credit card payment for the purpose of completing your payment for purchases and membership payments. Our third party payment processing vendor is not permitted to use the credit card information or any of Your Provided Information for any purposes other than to fulfill the specific purchase transaction. Additionally, we may share your information with our third party contractors for purposes of providing elements of HAR.com on our behalf, including information technology service providers, software providers, application providers, website hosting, cloud service providers, and communication services providers, such third parties use your information only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them. If you opt in to receive text messages from HAR.com, any information collected will not be sold or shared with any third parties.
- Entity Sale. We may disclose, transfer, sell or assign your information obtained through HAR.com, or information otherwise in its possession, to third parties as a result of a sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, reorganization or liquidation of HAR.com and/or HRIS. You will be notified via email or prominent notice on HAR.com for 30 days of any such change in ownership or control of your information.
- Retention and Termination. We will retain your information for as long as your account is active, as long needed to provide you services, or as long as needed to fulfill one of the purposes listed. The subsequent use, management or disclosure of any information collected by or provided to third parties such as Realtors®/licensees is subject to their privacy policies and practices. If you wish to cancel your account with HAR.com or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services, then contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, perform investigations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
3. You Have Choices
HAR.com offers you the opportunity to correct, update and amend your Account Information through your HAR.com account at any time. Simply access your account settings page and change, remove or update your information there. You can withdraw your consent for our use of your Account Information at any time by going to your account settings and deleting the account. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing of your Account Information we conducted prior to your withdrawal or deletion, nor will it affect processing of information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent. If you have any concerns, want an electronic copy of your information from your account, or need help in correcting, updating, amending or removing your information at HAR.com, then please contact us by email at email@example.com or call us at (713) 629-1900, and we will help you in any way possible.
4. Email Management
You may receive email from HAR.com for a variety of reasons. We respect your desire to manage email correspondence. If you have an account with HAR.com, you can select your preferences through your account tools. Also, you can manage your receipt of some types of communication by following the instructions included in the email we send you. If you wish not to receive further emails from real estate entities or agents with whom you have registered, then you must personally contact that entity or agent and convey that information to them.
5. Storage and Security of Data
We take the security of your information very seriously. We use industry accepted tools and procedures that protects data in our system. However, due to the open communication nature of the Internet we cannot guarantee that information we receive from you or that communication between you and us and us and you will be free from unauthorized access by third parties. You are providing your information to us at your own risk.
6. Links to Other Sites
We are not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites which are linked or connected to HAR.com. We provide these links to enhance the experience of our users for the purpose of providing information and services. We do not take responsibility for the contents, advertising, products or other materials made available through any other websites nor for their data collection practices. We refer you to their privacy statements and policies to learn how they collect and use information about you.
HAR.com is intended for adult general audiences and is not directed to anyone under 18. We do not knowingly collect information from children under 13. If you become aware that a child has provided us with information without parental consent, please contact us. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with information without parental consent, we will take steps to remove such information and terminate the child’s account.
8. Privacy Statement Changes
HRIS reserves the right to make changes to its Privacy Notice at any time. Any changes will be effective on the Effective Date noted above. Your use of HAR.com after the Effective Date constitutes your acceptance of any changes to the Privacy Notice. It is your responsibility to read and understand what, if any, changes affect you.
If you have any questions about our Privacy Notice or the practices of HAR.com, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send correspondence to Houston Realtors Information Service, Inc., Attention: Privacy Notice Issue, 3693 Southwest Freeway Houston, TX 77027. You can reach us by phone at (713) 629-1900.